Rodin

During my visits to museums, I spend most of my time admiring the vast array of paintings that adorn the walls. Rarely do I look at sculptures, unless it's for a homework assignment at the MET. But a special trip to Musée Rodin changed that.

Auguste Rodin's marble molds are more than just the celebration of the human form. His sculptures demonstrate that spirituality and sensuality of life can come from stone. The figures he shapes with his hands rise out of white. Alive, but trapped in their own medium. Perfect, smooth flesh never seemed more perfect. Who knew that sculptures could be so sexy?








 
What was most intriguing for me was how Rodin managed to create simple poses that evoke so much movement and love for flesh. Details obviously matter in his bronze work, as in the beard and under eye creases of Victor Hugo (Nico, my darling, your impression is impeccable). But Rodin's sculptures of male and female embrace literally takes the breath out of me. It's crazy how a series of curvatures make me melt. He constructs love, frozen in time. Camille Claudel was his inspiration.
 
I realized that in many artist - muse relationships, the final product of the duo's work is something incredible for a spectator, but something only those involved can fully comprehend. The moment that is captured, the process in creating the work... is something sacred, shared between the artist and muse. My recent neurotic desires to create a magnificent photograph has outshone my love for the experience that is shared in that particular moment. I've been more excited for the result of a good photo than fully enjoying when happens when taking that photo. It's all been a show of what looks good, but not what feels good...
 
I need to learn how to be simple.
 
30.

Comments

Popular Posts