Basquiat

The other day I visited the Jean-Michel Basquiat exhibition in Musée d'Art Moderne. Basquiat first started as a graffiti artist in New York City in the 70s, but started pursuing Neo-expressionist artwork a decade later. Having never seen his work before, I thought I was viewing the scribbles and doodles of a five-year-old child. At first glance, his pieces are bizarre, with words randomly scattered across the canvas, people drawn in childish fervor. What I came to appreciate, though, were his attention to detail, vibrant colors, and passion for illustrating a world that cannot be seen to the passing observer. Basquiat loved his everyday Mary Jane and the injections of needles- which mostly explains why his work is so special. When I see his paintings, I see the insides of the artist's mind - the mind of a madman. His brushstrokes are violent and furious - the people in his paintings are triumphant but sadly so. It's interesting to note that Basquiat was good friends with Andy Warhol, and they collaborated on a few pieces together.

Collaborations with Andy Warhol:




"Portrait of Andy Warhol as a Banana"







30.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts